September is Alopecia Awareness Month! We are taking the time to talk to you about alopecia, and how to treat it.
Alopecia is the medical term for hair loss. It usually happens in small patches and can result in overall baldness. If your hair does grow back, more than likely it will fall out again. This can result in low self-esteem and other emotional issues. There are different forms of alopecia as well as treatments for your hair shedding.
Different Types of Alopecia:
- Alopecia Areata – It is the most common form of alopecia. The immune system attacks the hair follicles resulting in hair loss in patches.
- Androgenic Alopecia – This is a genetic hair loss condition that affects male/females later on in life. Therefore, the hair loss comes with the coming of age.
- Traction Alopecia – It is caused by our actions such as tight ponytails, or chemical straighteners such as colour or bleach.
- and many more...
According to scientists, there is no cure, however using products rich in oils that are high in antiseptic, antimicrobial and antioxidants will improve your hair growth. Example of these oils is Rosemary, Peppermint, Tea tree, and Castor Oil. These oils once applied and massaged in will help to improve overall scalp health. As well as, eating healthy. Therefore, consuming fruits, vegetables, protein, healthy carbs, your vitamins, etc. This encourages optimally healthy hair growth. Also, for the one suffering from traction alopecia they are several ways to avoid hair loss.
Hairstyle Choices:Avoid hairstyles that requires a lot of pulling such as tight braids, extensions, wigs etc. If you cannot go without it, I suggest asking your hairdresser to lightly braid your hair, especially around your edges. Also, avoid really small braids and opt for bigger box braids.
2. Hair Care:
Taking care of your scalp is essential for healthy hair growth. You will need to remove excess product buildup and bacteria from your scalp. I suggest cleansing your hair every 1 or 2 weeks to cleanse and enable your hair follicles to breathe.
- Kreyol Essence’s Haitian Black Castor Oil: Haitian Black Castor encourages thick, long and shiny hair. It is rich in omega fatty acids and vitamin e that are known to nourish the hair and scalp. The castor seeds are hand extracted and filtered without refining it. Therefore, all of the nutrients are still in the oil needed to heal the scalp.
- Bask And Bloom Essential Shampoo Bar will cleanse your hair and scalp and remove extra buildup. It will make your hair follicle breathe which will make your hair grow again.
- Mane Choice Vitamin Pills: The main choice contains vitamins A through to K as well as other nutrients. It has been formulated to not only help promote healthy hair, s well as overall hell in the body. The antioxidants will boost scalp help as well as your immune system.
- Headwraps keep your hair protected from any manipulation from you that will result in more patches of hair falling out. Once you are oiling your scalp nightly and taking your hair vitamins to promote growth, your hair is manipulation free. Also, headwraps are very stylish. There are many styles and colours that you can choose from to rock for work or any event.
Please bear in mind that alopecia can be temporary and can affect you for a short period of time. Do you suffer or know anyone suffering from alopecia?